Got a question? Need some advice? Check out these sites for answers:
News, Information & Advice:
- About.com’s Teen Advice – Simple and searchable information and advice on school and money, dating, and general advice topics.
- Channel One News – The leading news network for teens nationwide, providing unbiased reports of current events and topics affecting young people.
- HuffPost Teen – Covering politics, entertainment, world news, and more from the teen perspective.
- Teen Topics by USA.gov – General information from a trusted source includes driving, financial, health and safety, travel, and education resources.
- Tiger Total Media – The student media site of North Allegheny Senior High School.
- Pennsylvania DMV’s Teen Drivers – Check out links to driver education requirements, take a sample knowledge exam, or learn about teen driver safety.
- Driver’s Ed Guru – Practical lessons, educational videos, interesting articles, and DMV practice tests all on one site.
- SafeMotorist.com – Find out which driving courses are approved in Virginia, read helpful safety articles, and read the Virginia driving handbook online.
Drugs & Alcohol:
- DrugFree.org – Explore a wealth of information, tools and opportunities to help prevent and get help for drug and alcohol abuse by teens and young adults.
- NIDA for Teens – This site delivers science-based facts about how drugs affect the brain and body so that teens will be armed with better information to make healthy decisions.
- DEA’s Just Think Twice – Dedicated to helping teens separate drug facts from fiction, this site offers detailed information about legal and illegal drugs, their effects, and the consequences of drug abuse and addiction.
- RehabCenter.net – With over 2 million members worldwide, Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) has helped many men and women overcome their drinking issues in order to live happier, healthier, and more productive lives. Lives in which alcohol isn’t an obsession and important relationships are strengthened versus broken. One of the tools they rely on to accomplish this is the Big Book.
Health & Well Being:
- Lifeline – suicide hotline, therapy finder.
- WebMD for Teens – Up-to-date and plain and simple health information on a variety of topics for teens. Separate portals for girls and boys with gender-specific health advice and resources.
- Teens Health – Accurate and current health information that’s free of “doctor speak.”
- Go Ask Alice! – This health Q&A resource provides reliable, accurate, accessible information for teens on health and well-being.
- Proud2Bme – An online community created by and for teens to prevent and treat eating disorders by promoting positive body image and encouraging healthy attitudes about food and weight.
- Re:Solve Crisis Network – 1-888-7-YOU CAN (1-888-796-8226) This network provides round-the-clock, mental health crisis intervention and stabilization services for residents of Allegheny County in Pennsylvania.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline & Hotline 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Crisis Intervention Programs for Allegheny County (list of organizations around Allegheny County that offer help)
- Start Smart: Money Management for Teens – Easy and realistic financial advice on how to save, spend, and live well.
- Practical Money Skills – Access calculators, expert advice, educational games, and information to help you spend and save like a champ.
- CNN’s Money 101 – More than 20 free lessons to help you gain control of your financial life early.
- Learn & Earn Summer Youth Employment -For youth, having a job is not only an important step toward adulthood and prosperity; it is a key component of a successful future.3 Rivers WIB is proud to announce its partnership with the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County in the Learn and Earn Summer Youth Employment initiative.
Relationships & Dating:
- IWannaKnow.org – This is where you will find the facts, the support, and the resources to answer your questions and access in-depth information about sexual health, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and healthy relationships.
- Stay Teen – Enjoy your teen years and make smarter dating decisions by reading features and data about issues like sex, relationships, waiting, and contraception.
- Planned Parenthood’s Info for Teens – Find a health center near you, learn more about teen sexuality and relationships, and get access to expert answers on dozens of teen topics.
- glccpgh.org – The Gay & Lesbian Community Center of Pittsburgh (GLCC) provides gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) individuals, their families and supporters in Western Pennsylvania with resources and opportunities to promote visibility, understanding, and equality within the LGBT communities and the community at large. The GLCC will work toward these goals through education, social support, networking, and advocacy.
- Break the Cycle – Provides comprehensive information and programs to prevent dating abuse and empower youth.
- CDC’s Intimate Partner Violence – Articles, resources, and prevention strategies to help you stop intimate partner violence.
- Love is Respect – This site features basic information on dating, signs and types of abuse, links to get help, and opportunities to take action against violence.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline – A toll-free and anonymous domestic violence hotline with access to more than 4,000 shelters and programs nationwide. This site also features quizzes and information.
- Teens Against Bullying – Created by and for teens, it’s a place for middle and high school students to find ways to address bullying, to take action, and to be heard.