It is the policy of Northland Public Library to aid in the training of students by occasionally offering unpaid internships. The purpose of an internship is for an intern to learn about public libraries and to gain valuable insight and experience.
- The intern and the Executive Director must sign the Unpaid Internship Agreement (Appendix A).
- The term of an internship must be agreed upon by both the intern and Northland Public Library.
- The internship is related to an educational purpose and there is no guarantee or expectation that the activity will result in employment with Northland Public Library.
- The education received by the intern from the internship is for the express benefit of the intern.
- The intern does not replace or displace any employee of Northland Public Library.
- The intern will receive direct and close supervision by an appropriate supervisor.
- The Library does not derive an immediate advantage from the activities performed by the intern.
- The intern is not entitled to wages or any compensation or benefits for the time spent in the internship.
- Northland Public Library is not liable for injury sustained or health conditions that may arise for the unpaid intern during the course of the internship.
- The intern must abide by the Volunteer Clearances Policy (link).
Intern agrees to and acknowledges the following:
- The internship is educational in nature and there is no guarantee or expectation that the internship will result in employment.
- Northland Public Library may at any time in its sole discretion, terminate the internship without notice or cause.
- The intern will maintain a regular internship schedule determined by the intern and his/her supervisor.
- The intern will demonstrate honesty, punctuality, courtesy, cooperative attitude, proper health and grooming habits, appropriate dress and a willingness to learn.
- The intern will obey the policies, rules and regulations of Northland Public Library and comply with the Library’s business practices and procedures.
- The intern will furnish his/her supervisor with all necessary information pertaining to the unpaid internship, including related assignments and reports.
- Under no circumstances will the intern leave the internship without first conferring with the intern’s supervisor.
- Transportation to and from the internship site is the responsibility of the intern.
- While the intern is on Northland’s premises, s/he is not considered an employee or agent of Northland Public Library for any purposes, including but not limited to workers compensation.
- The intern assumes all of the risks of participating in the internship program. In consideration of the opportunity afforded to the intern to participate in the internship program, the intern hereby agrees that s/he, his/her assignees, heirs, guardians, and legal representatives, will not make a claim against Northland Public Library or any of its affiliated organizations, or either of their officers or directors collectively or individually, or any of its employees, for the injury to or death of the intern or damage to his/her property, however caused, arising from his/her participation in the internship program. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the intern hereby waives and releases any rights, actions, or causes or action resulting from personal injury or death to him/her, or damage to his/her property, sustained in connection with his/her participation in the internship program.