The Northland Public Library is a municipal authority whose facilities are open to all. The Library’s display spaces are a community resource to be used in accordance with the Library’s mission of disseminating information. For outside organizations or individuals applying to have use of display space, policies and procedures have been developed to ensure proper and equitable use.
The Library allows individual and/or organizations to use its display spaces without regard to beliefs or affiliations. There shall be no restrictions regarding religious or political activities other than that they be lawful and do not in any way disturb other library functions
Use of display space(s) by an individual/organization does not constitute an endorsement by the Library of the individual’s/organization’s beliefs, policies or programs. The individual/organization will issue no publicity indicating Library sponsorship and the Library reserves the right to post disclaimers concerning displays. The Library Director or designated staff member has the right to see handout literature, materials, and press releases associated with displays.
The Northland Public Library Authority is the final authority for the implementation of the provisions of this policy and the related administrative procedures. Any questions or requests for exceptions should be brought to the Board for consideration at its next meeting. Further, the Board reserves the right to reject any application for use of any display space if the Board determines such use is not in the best interest of the Library.
Northland Public Library Authority Board July 16, 2013
This policy shall be administered through the Marketing/Communications Department.
The purpose of the Library’s display space facilities is to increase public awareness of the Library’s resources and to fulfill its mission: Northland Library enables, empowers and encourages lifelong learning and discovery. Exhibits using the facilities shall further one or more of these purposes:
- To call attention to a theme related to the Library’s services, collections or programs.
- To highlight current issues, events or other subjects of public interest.
- To display high-quality original art, crafts, photographs or writings creating by local (Borough of Bradford Woods, Franklin Park Borough, Town of McCandless, Marshall Township and Ross Township) artists.
- To explain the activities or issues of interest to local organizations and agencies engaged in educational, recreational, cultural, intellectual or charitable activities.
- To display interesting collections or hobbies of local (Borough of Bradford Woods, Franklin Park Borough, Town of McCandless, Marshall Township and Ross Township) residents.
Display space includes but is not limited to:
- Community bulletin boards on the lower level elevator area
- Glass case near the staircase upper level
- Areas yet to be determined
- The Library assumes no responsibility for loss, damage or destruction of items left for display. All displays must meet existing state and federal laws on obscenity, libel, defamation of character and invasion of privacy.
- The Library does not accept responsibility for ensuring that all points of view are represented in any single display. Granting permission to display materials does not imply Library endorsement of content, nor will the Library accept responsibility for the accuracy of the statements made in such materials.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse display space to exhibits, which in the Library’s opinion does not further the display space policy purpose.
- Exhibitors may not actively solicit or conduct sales of any items/services on the Library grounds. However, contact information may be available at/in the display case(s).
- Library-produced or solicited displays have priority over displays proposed by non-library groups or individuals.
- All displays must be approved by the designated Library staff.
- The Library may designate the space for particular types of displays to make the best use of display units or areas for accessibility to the intended audience.
GLASS CASE DISPLAY GUIDELINES
- A single group or individual is limited to a one-month display in a twelve-month period.
- A Display Space Request form is available and must be completed and submitted to the Communications/Marketing Department.
- All displays must be approved by designated Library staff.
- Acceptance and confirmation of display subject, display space and time period will be issued to the representing organization or individual.
GUIDELINES FOR DISPLAYING ON OUR WALLS
- The wall space will be utilized by a non-profit group or organization, or an educational institution to showcase and educate the community about their offerings.
- Groups and individuals that are part of the groups displaying are prohibited from selling their pieces on the premises.
- Groups agree to lend their works for a three month period.
- Groups are responsible for hanging, arranging and then retrieving their pieces.
Failure to abide by this policy will result in the forfeiture of display privileges at Northland Public Library.
Immediate removal of display will be required.
COMMUNITY BULLETIN BOARD POSTING GUIDELINES
All posts must be approved by designated Library staff and are not necessarily endorsed by Northland Public Library.
Items accepted for posting:
- Community event
- Instructional offering
- Events/programs that reflect the Library’s mission statement
Posting criteria include:
- One poster per event/organization
- Posters larger than 8 ½ x 11” may be excluded due to space limitation
- Dated material may be posted three weeks prior to the event.
- Ongoing items of interest may stay posted as long as space permits
Items not acceptable for posting:
- Business advertisements
- Child care organizations
- Employment solicitation
- For-profit endeavors